Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 116.03


“The whole concept boggles me.” Harold pressed several buttons on the keypad at random. “Why would anyone want to upset the status quo? I mean, I can understand wanting to take control of Hell. There power to be had, and respect. Not to mention a few thousand minions to see every wish granted. I can sort of see why you'd want to control Heaven, too. The adoration of the mortals would be a powerful incentive to be God. What I can't see is why any demon would want to engineer the apocalypse.”

“A power play, surely?” Jasfoup swallowed noisily “Plus all those souls to eat.”

“But there's no point, is there? Every demon I've ever met, and this includes all of Legion's hordes, want to live on the earth among mortals. That's where the experience lies.”

“True.” Jasfoup shrugged. “I can't give you an answer. We'll just have to ask Manoach when we meet him.”

“He's a demon. He won't give us a straight answer.”

“Also true.”

Harold tugged at the blast door. “How far underground do you think we are?”

Jasfoup looked up to the hewn rock ceiling, as if there was a measuring gauge attached to the wall. “Five hundred feet? Thereabouts, anyway. Deep enough for a thinking man to be crushed by the mere contemplation of the amount of rock above him.” He clapped Harold on the back. “You don't suffer from ennui, do you?”

“Not generally.” His companion gazed back the way they had come. “And how far from the town are we?”

“A mile and a half, give or take.”

“Give or take what?”

“One and a half miles either way.”

“You've no idea, have you?”

“On the contrary, I know exactly where we are.” The demon pulled a mobile out of his pocket and held it up to the ceiling. He frowned and walked several paces to either side. “At least, I will do when I can pick up a signal.”

No comments: