Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Plans of Mice and Zombie Hunters

Coming through the gennel, I could see the mess I'd left by 'accidentally' burning down Edith Brake's house. There were puddles of black, sooty water everywhere from the hoses, and the fire crews had begun pulling everything out that might still be flammable, though why they'd pulled out the bath tub was anyone's guess. Actually, it was a cast iron one with claw and ball feet. Probably worth a small fortune on today's antique market. I wondered if it would turn up at Bellend and Grommet's in a week or two.

The crime scene boys had turned up as well, but I was less concerned with that, knowing it wasn't a zombie in there after all. They could search all they liked but the most they were going to find was evidence Mrs. Benton had killed her, and possibly a gas pipe eaten through by acid. Deniable, obviously.

A familiar brown car pulled up and Detective Inspector White climbed out. He could be trouble. We'd had a run-in once or twice before but whatever his suspicions about me he'd never been able to pin anything on me. He was, however, a keen and insightful old school copper, and if he knocked on a few doors he might well find out about my current problem.

Just how big a problem did I actually have? Canvassing houses was all very well but not an efficient way of finding zombies. True, I'd found four, but they'd all been killed by ordinary mortals.

I had to come up with a better plan.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Yes! Yes! A plan! Where to go for help?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Yes!
The plan is to stop, and re-write the whole thing in third person...

aims said...

*laughing* In a bit of a pickle now aren't you! What to do - what to do.....

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed! In a corner without a paintbrush!